This is one of those dishes that makes your whole house smell just wonderful whilst it is cooking. Many thanks to Geraldine Graham from Ilkley for kindly sharing it with us.
Mutton Breast Boulangere
This takes a while to cook but is so worth it!
- 1 mutton breast, bones in
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tbspns finely chopped rosemary
- 3 tbspns stripped thyme leaves
- 1 - 1.5 kg floury potatoes, eg, Maris Piper
- oil for browning the mutton
- Brown the mutton all over
- Cook very slowly with a lid on in a low oven. Approx 5 hours
- Slide the bones away from the meat and discard
- Reserving the juices, lift the meat out and and chop into bite sized pieces
- With some of the fat that has come out of the meat, fry the onion until soft adding the herbs at the end to release their aroma
- Slice the potatoes, skin on, and arrange a layer over the base of an oven proof dish
- Add a layer of onion and herbs, followed by a layer of meat. Season as you go.
- Layer again, finishing with a layer of potatoes
- Pour over the cooking juices, cover with a lid or foil and bake in a hot oven for 40 minutes uncovering after 20 to let the top brown